25998 – Material Science Engineer FT 1st Shift San Antonio, TX – Seeking Military Affiliation
The Materials Engineer is responsible for evaluating new materials, processes, and suppliers. Helps support our global product offerings and manufacturing teams for material issues. Consults with Product Groups on materials-related matters and is a key technical member of the R&D team. Applies seasoned technical knowledge to various product development projects related to materials and material processing.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
– Review plans for new products and recommend selecting materials based on design objectives, such as strength, heat resistance, erosion resistance, weight, and cost.
– Conduct tests on raw materials and finished products to ensure they meet quality standards and specifications.
– Conduct tests and analyze data using DSC, MDSC, TMA, TGA, DMA & FTIR as necessary.
– Advise on material selection, property data, and failure avoidance.
– Develop and evaluate new materials through characterization, testing, and analysis.
– Develop, evaluate and qualify special processes such as compounding and extrusion and their applications.
– Write materials and process specifications and standards.
– Perform failure and predictive and data analysis to develop advancements for products, focusing on material selection, modification, and processing effects.
– Plan and conduct laboratory operations for the development of fabrication procedures and materials that meet specifications and standards
– Analyze product issues and failures with root cause analysis and come up with better and more innovative solutions
– Provide material consultation to engineers, field locations, and customers.
– Provide material engineering review and approval of contract and subcontract statements of work and specifications.
– Interface with suppliers and subcontractor representatives on material-related activities.
– Strong communication skills and ability to work with international groups to solve manufacturing issues or develop new products and processes collaboratively
– Produce detailed technical reports and provide effective technical presentations.
– Manage multiple projects simultaneously and react quickly to changing priorities.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS
– Master's degree in engineering, Materials Science, or Polymer Science.
– 7 – 10 years experience working in the area of material science/engineering
– Experience working with thermoplastics, polymers, and composite laminates preferred.
– Experience in extrusion preferred.
– Interpret data and provide recommendations based on findings.
– Select the best combination of materials based on purported use.
– Test and assess materials.
– Develop prototypes.
– Quality Control Testing.
– Advise management on the suitability, feasibility, profitability, and environmental impact of materials.
– Evaluate the economic viability of material for commercial production.
– Self-starter, willing to accept initiative, and able to work independently.
– Some Travel is required.
– Excellent Communication, both verbal and written.
– Presentation Skills.
– Strong computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office.
– Apply scientific reasoning to industrial situations.
– Analytical and problem-solving skills.
– CAD experience is preferred but not required.